It’s always a good time for business planning and setting goals. Some do it. Most don’t. Of those who do it, some follow their plan, but many eventually lose interest. Of those who do pursue their plan, some reach their goals; however, most plans don’t go as expected. So why have a plan?
Consider the wisdom of the Cheshire cat in the story of Alice in Wonderland:
"Would you tell me which way I ought to go from here?" asked Alice. "That depends a good deal on where you want to get," said the Cheshire Cat. "I really don't care where" replied Alice. "Then it doesn't much matter which way you go," said the Cat. (Lewis Carroll, “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland,” 1865).
More Brainy Quotes on Business Planning
- “He who fails to plan, plans to fail, so plan your work and work your plan” (unknown).
- “Reduce your plan to writing. The moment you complete this, you will give concrete form to your intangible desire” (Napoleon Hill, author of "Think and Grow Rich").
- “A good plan is like a road map: it shows the final destination and usually the best way to get there” (H. Stanley Judd, American author).
- "Good plans shape good decisions. That's why good planning helps to make elusive dreams come true" (Lester R. Bittel, “The Nine Master Keys of Management”).
- “Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work” (Peter F. Drucker, business author and coach).
- “Proper preparation prevents poor performance” (Charlie Batch, football quarterback).
- “Adventure is just bad planning” (Ronald Amundsen, Norwegian explorer of Polar Regions).
- “If the ladder is not leaning against the right wall, every step we take just gets us to the wrong place faster” (Stephen Covey, business author and coach).
- “Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning” (Thomas Edison).
- “Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now” (Alan Lakein, author on personal time management).
- “The man who is prepared has his battle half fought” (Miguel de Cervantes, author of “Don Quixote").
- “Every minute that you spend planning your goals, your activities, and your time in advance saves ten minutes of work in the execution of those plans. Therefore, careful advanced planning gives you a return of ten times, or 1,000 percent, on your investment of mental, emotional, and physical energy.
“It takes only about 10-12 minutes for you to make up a plan for your day. This investment of 10-12 minutes will save you time of approximately two hours per day, or a 25 percent increase in productivity and performance. The very act of planning forces you to think better and more accurately about everything you do. Perhaps, the most important rule of all is for you to 'think on paper!'
“A clear vision, backed by definite plans, gives you a tremendous feeling of confidence and personal power” (Brian Tracy, business author and coach).
- And my personal favorite:
“Everyone has a plan—until they get punched in the face” (Mike Tyson, Boxer).
I’ve Got Just the Plan for You
The Box Theory™ Way includes planning with a purpose. You first create an Organization Blueprint so that your business systems and processes propel your company to achieve its mission, vision, strategy and goals.
Within Box Theory™ Software, you address ten important areas of business planning to complete your Organization Blueprint.
- Mission Statement (Why do you exist?)
- Values Statement (What are your core values?)
- Vision Statement (Where do you want to be in five years, and beyond?)
- Voice of the Customer (What do your customers expect from you?)
- Voice of the Employee (What must you do to retain your best employees?)
- SWOT Analysis (What are your organization strength, weaknesses, opportunities and threats?)
- Strategy (What is your unique game plan for success?)
- Balanced Scorecard (What are your specific measurable goals?)
- Organizational Structure (What business activities are you engaged in?)
- System Framework (What business systems and processes must you excel at?)
While the type of business plan required by venture capitalists may not be necessary for your company, planning is still essential. Throughout Box Theory™ Software, you create meaningful Action Plans that, when carried out, will enable you to produce a smooth-running, profitable, and even remarkable business operation.
Make the year ahead your best ever with Box Theory™ Software. I believe this will be one of the most important business decisions you have ever made!